Outside of the Holy Scriptures, one of the most convicting and compelling definitions of sin that I have come across is this by John Piper, courtesy of a Desiring God Ministries. I used this at the end of my Resurrection Sunday Message yesterday. Thanks to all those who prayed for me and for all those who proclaimed the glorious gospel yesterday!
Sin is when…..
- The glory of God is not honored.
- The holiness of God is not reverenced.
- The greatness of God is not admired.
- The power of God is not praised.
- The truth of God is not sought.
- The wisdom of God is not esteemed.
- The beauty of God is not treasured.
- The goodness of God is not savored.
- The faithfulness of God is not trusted.
- The promises of God are not relied upon.
- The commandments of God are not obeyed.
- The justice of God is not respected.
- The wrath of God is not feared.
- The grace of God is not cherished.
- The presence of God is not prized.
- The person of God is not loved.
Sin is esteeming and valuing and honoring and enjoying man and his creations above God.
No need to say any more. We are all sinners by nature and by choice with only One Hope of being right with God. And that is by repentance and remission of sin, by grace,through faith in the death, burial, and bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. Reader, have you turned from sin to Christ alone? I urge you to say no to anything or anyone that pulls you away from Him and say yes to Jesus today.